Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Your Cheatin Heart

There are times in a mans life when the straight and narrow just seams confining. When faithfulness is just boring. There are just those times when you need a little something-something different then the same-old same-old. Its those times that I go visit my favorite den of iniquity. Genos . God help me, I know I should be faithful, but the siren song of slathered cheez wiz and shaved beef on the big honkin Amaroso roll just gets too much to bear, and I give in to temptation. Just the other day I was driving by the local pizza and steak joint, the smell of fried meat, cheese, and sauce in the air, and this feeling came over me. Its like I was on a mission from God. Compelled by forces greater than man, the next thing I knew I was on I-95 headed for Philadelphia. South 9th Street and Passyunk Ave, I get tingles just writing about it. Upon arrival I get in line and get my money out before ordering. Unlike the tourist a head of me who gets sent to the end of the line, I know how to order. "wit wiz and onions", that's all they need to know to get me my fix. Sitting at the table outside, finishing up the last few bites, I think, Oh, no, what if my wife finds out. The tell tale signs of dripped cheese are on my shirt. I'll have steak breath. I've cheated and I feel good about it. This was not some little incidental cheat, no, this was the real deal, and it was worth it. A wet napkin and a couple of certs later I arrive home, pretending like nothing happened. A quick kiss and some casual conversation, my wife gives me a quick raised eyebrow but says nothing, she knows, she always knows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a way with words. Now I wanna cheat...

Anonymous said...

Yummy! You got a sin a little every once in awhile. Otherwise life would be boring.