Friday, September 08, 2006

Muscle Heads Vindicated

I must admit, I have had a hard time holding my lounge, and giggled more than once over the past day or two as all these modern low carbers who feel that Atkins has been vindicated by recent study showing the benefit of a high protein diet. Well, guess what, your beloved Robert Atkins is a johnny come lately into the world of high protein, reduced carb eating. Physical culturists, weightlifters, bodybuilders. power lifters, and strong men had that figured out long before Atkins ever went to med school. For decades, we have been told that eating all that meat, eggs and whole milk would destroy our liver and kidney's, ruin our bones, makes us bald, blind and cause any other infirmity they could think of. Now, I will give Atkins his due, he did hold his ground for years against some pretty strong criticism. However, going back to the turn of the 20th century you can find similar advice from physical culturists like Eugene Sandow and many others. My favorite golden age bodybuilder, Dave Draper, could teach you more about how to lose fat and change your body composition using a reduced carb diet, than 99 percent of all the Internet low carb experts. While I'm on the subject of Dave Draper, I would like to recommend his book, "Your Body Revival". It is an excellent beginning for those who would like to get healthy and strong. I am in no way affiliated with DaveDraper.com, I just really think he has something to say that is worth hearing. Having met Dave once at a book signing, he also seems like a heck of a nice guy. So enjoy the moment, it will be fleeting. But you can take some comfort in knowing that High protein diets have a long tradition of health and strength in another subculture that has been marginalized for decades. Now, lets address the idea of muscle bound.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Dave Draper! Muscle & Fitness has a feature on him this month. He and wife Laree are always eager to answer emails. He's responsible for convincing me to go heavier on lifting a few years ago. I'd sent him a sample of my average workout and he said "Go heavier, girl." I was getting too many reps (like 18-25 per set).