Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Saturated Fat, Tempest in a teapot.


Fat SFA
4oz 85/15 ground beef broiled 11.9 4.5
2 oz scrapple 8 2
eggs whole x2 10.6 3.2
2 chicken thighs skin on 19.2 5.4
olive oil 2.5 tbsp 33.75 4.75
almonds 1 oz 14.4 1.1
Plain Whole Yogurt 1cup 7 5
Totals 104.85 25.95

According to conventional wisdom, and popular advice, we should get no more than 10% of our calories from saturated fat, based on our projected caloric needs. My projected caloric requirements are about 2400 Cal. per day which gives me a daily allotment of 26 grams of saturated fat, out of a total of 106 grams total fat based on the recommendations of Willet and Skerrit (EAT, DRINK, AND BE HEALTHY). Now 26 grams of saturated fat doesn't seem like much, but when you look at what I ate above, 26 grams of Saturated fat goes quite a ways. The above values come from calorieking.com

Now to be honest I didn't measure and weigh my fruits, vegetables, or beans, I'm just not that concerned about counting calories right now. But for completeness I also ate cantaloupe, grapes, a nectarine, a peach, blueberries, chic peas, a big salad, broccoli, spinach, and a couple of scoops of whey protein powder.

Lets call the case against saturated fat what it really is, a thinly veiled political war on eating meat.

No comments: